Welcome! - Explore Pensacola and discover it's beauty. Pensacola, Florida is located in the panhandle of northwest Florida. Pensacola offers fun in the sun, beautiful beaches, great parks, great attractions and plenty of museums and history to explore.
Among the treasures of Pensacola is Pensacola Beach located on the Gulf of Mexico. Pensacola Beach is everything a vacation place should be: beautiful, fun, and not to far away. Pensacola Beach is a year-round vacation place and is recognized as--the worlds whitest beaches-- having sand that looks white as sugar. A place anyone can fully appreciate.
Pensacola is the home of the world's famous Blue Angels. Enjoy Pensacola with it's breathtaken Blue Angel Shows. The Blue Angels streak through the ski with excitement that will please any crowd. The Blue Angels are based here at US Naval Air Station. At the Naval Air Station you can view the the Blue Angels in diamond formation on display hanging in the National Museum of Naval Aviation.
The Pensacola area has fascinating historic sights, such as the Historic Pensacola Village, the Pensacola Historical Museum, and the Seville Square Historic District. Ft Pickens, and Ft Barrancas are historical forts that protected our shores during the Civil War.
Pensacola and the surrounding area offers a wide variety of fascinating shops, gift shops, art galleries, and museums. We offer many recreational activities such as boating, water sports, diving, tennis, deep sea fishing, and World class golfing . Our local zoo has over 600 animals and a beautiful bontanical gardens.
Experience the Night,and try some of our finest restaurants and night spots here on the Gulf Coast.
|Alger Sullivan Historical District: In Century||Pensacola||Florida||(850)256-2029||On national record of historical places. Museum open by appointment.|
|Arcadia Mill Site||5709 Mill Pond Lane, Milton||Pensacola||Florida||(850)628-4438||Located outside of Pensacola in Milton. Free tours by appointment.|
|Barkley House: (1825)||410 S. Florida Blanca St.||Pensacola||Florida||(850)438-8505||One of the oldest masonry houses in Florida, Barkley House was built by a prominent local merchant family of British and French extraction. Its center-hall floor plan is typically Anglo, while its exterior is a fine and rare example of the French Creole High House, a Gulf Coast architectural style rarely found in Florida. Restored in phases over the last decade, its most recent renovation was sponsored by the Pensacola Heritage Foundation. The Foundation conducts scheduled guided tours for visitors.|
|Bear Block, The||402 - 410 Palafox Place||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1892 as the Lewis Bear Company and is distinguished by it's beautiful classical revival details. It features cast iron structural and decorative qualities. At the turn of the century, Pensacola was a booming port town, and Lewis Bear supplied groceries to sailing vessels as well as from Milton to Carabelle, Florida.|
|Big Lagoon State Recreational Area||12301 Gulf Beach Hwy.||Pensacola||Florida||(850) 492-1595||The coastal park is located 10 miles southwest of Pensacola and has 698 acres for camping, swimming,fishing,boating, picnicing, and nature study. Features: More than 75 campsites with modern facilities and a dump station on the premises. Five picnic areas with shelters along the big Lagoon and Intracoastal Waterway. The governernor's Pavilion accomodates larger groups and can be reserved for a nominal fee. A 500-seat amphitheater for group meetings and a seperate meeting room with an equipped kitchen (reservations a must and a nominal fee is charged). A variety of water sports including swimming and beach activities are enjoyed on the Big Lagoon. A boat ramp with dock for the Lagoon and Intracoastal Waterway. An observation tower at the East Beach area provides a panoramic view of Big Lagoon, the park and Gulf Islands National Seashore across the Intracoastal Waterway. Fishing can bring in all types of fish depending on the seasons. You can catch redfish, bluefish, flounder, sea trout, mullet with a castnet or go crabbing. Exhibits are located throughout the park along with nature trails with guided walks. Campfire programs and recreational skill programs are offered seasonally and upon special request for groups.|
|Blackwater River State Park||Route 1, Box 57-C, Holt||Pensacola||Florida||(850) 623-2363||Located about 48 miles east of Pensacola, Florida and is opened year-round from 8 a.m. to sunset. The State Park offers 698 acres for camping with tent and trailer camping. The park has one of the cleanest rivers in the United States. Swimming, fishing, boating, picnicing, canoeing, and nature trails are offered.|
|Blount Building||3 West Garden Street||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1907 for William A. Blount which replaced the Blount's New Orleans-style commercial building after a fire destroyed it in 1905. The new building was considered the height of modernity for it's time. It featured marble, granite, brick, fireproof iron and steelgirders. Arts ornamentation included terracota arches and copper cornices.|
|Brent Building||17 Palafox Place||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1906 by Francis Celestino. The three-story commercial office building had many modern conveniences such as electricity and gas. It featured original ornate bracketed cornices and keystone arched windows.|
|Charles H. Turner House||823 N. Baylen||Pensacola||Florida||Created by Charles H. Turner in 1896. The house has a Queen Anne style architecture, later a hipped-roof was added to the one story cottage. Again the house was embellished with Classical Revival colomns and other trim. The house was kept in the family for three generations.|
|Christ Episcopal Church||10 West Wright Street||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1902 for the Episcopal Parish after they out grew the Old Christ church in Seville Square. The church was designed along the lines of a Spanish Colonial Church. It was built in the shape of a cross with a dome rising where the two sections cross. The dome rises to sixty-four feet. the exterior of the church is of pebble-dash stucco with a Mission-Style front facade with columned entranceway.|
|Civil War Soldiers Museum||108 S. Palafox Place||Pensacola||Florida||(850)469-1900||Located Downtown Pensacola, Florida The museums Bookstore offers more than 500 different titles of books dealing with the Civil War. Includes fiction, biography, collected letters, histories, and analysis of and about the period. In addition, items such as Rebel caps, period music and art prints are on sale. On display is a variety of artifacts, photographs and dioramas of the American Civil War and a diorama of a life size Confederate field hospital medical exhibit. Yearly membership is available.|
|Colonial Archaeological Trail Center||212 E. Church St.||Pensacola||Florida||(850)444-8905||Located in a simple two-story building that was once the Parish School for nearby Christ Episcopal Church, the trail begins with a display featuring artifacts found during recent excavations. The trail then leads visitors to a series of historical archaeological sites including a colonial British well, a kitchen floor dating fom 1771 - 1821, and portions of the foundation for the British Government House. A brochure with a map of the trail can be found in the building. 212 E. Church St. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Cost included in ticket to T.T. Wentworth and Historic Pensacola Village.|
|D'Alemberte House||1215 North Reus Street||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1928 by Charles Hill Turner for J. Herron D'Alembete. Mr. D'Alembete was the vice president of Fisher Brown Insurance and the Realty Corporation of Pensacola. The house has the Mediterranean Revival architecture. It has many characteristics of romantic style and contains elements relating to the Mission Revival architecture of the southwest.|
|Discovery Gallery||330 S. Jefferson St.||Pensacola||Florida||(850)444-8905, (850)444-8588||Explore, Touch, Imagine, Create. Discovery, a hands-on museum experience for children, is a project of the Junior League of Pensacola, Inc. Located on the third floor of the T.T. Wentworth, Jr. Museum, the participatory exhibits are designed primarily for elementary aged children and their families. Discovery will be an active learning center where children learn by exploration and play, as well as specialized age-appropriate activities. Traveling exhibits, programs, and workshops will complement the center's continuing exhibits. Location: Discovery is located on the third floor of the T.T. Wenthworth, Jr.. Florida State Museum, which features historical highlights of Pensacola's history, the maritime, lumbering, farming, military, and commercial evolution. A changing exhibitions gallery on the 2nd floor will interest local residents as well as our area visitors. Historic Pensacola Village, located in the Seville Historic District, contains many of the finest buildings and artifacts from Pensacola's rich heritage. Public Hours: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Saturday|
|Dorr House, The: (1871)||311 S. Adam Street||Pensacola||Florida||(850) 444-8905||Built in 1871 by the widow of a lumber tycoon, Dorr House is a unique example of Greek Revival architecture. Similar to the Double Gallery houses of New Orleans, it is the last known remaining example of this style in West Florida. The house is completely furnished with fine furnishings from the 1850s to 1890s. Unusual memorabilia such as hair wreaths fashioned from the locks of family members' hair are also on display in this stately house museum.|
|Empire Building, The||226 Palafox Place||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1909 by J.E. Carpenter, architect and influenced by Louis Sullivan with his simple, clean forms with vertical bands of windows and relief ornamentation. The 10 story Empire Building was the tallest in Florida in 1909. Also known as the American National Bank Building and Seville Tower.|
|Escambia County Courthouse, The||Palafox & Government Streets||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1887 with a Renaissance Revival architect style. The building was used for the Post Office, U.S. Customs, Internal Revenue Collector, offices of the Circuit and district courts, and the district attorney. By the 1930's the building had runned down and was taken over in 1940 by the county and then restored.|
|Five Flags Speedway||7451 Pine Forest Road||Pensacola||Florida||(850)944-0466||Five Flag Speedway is located on Pine Forrest Rd at Exit 2 on I-10 and is the fastest one-half mile track in the country. The track is made of asphalt and is the home of the snowball derby. Top drivers like Carl Yarborough, Rusty Wallace and others compete here.|
|Fort Barrancas||Pensacola Naval Air Station||Pensacola||Florida||(850)455-5167||Located at the Pensacola Naval Air Station on 65 acres of land. Restored pre-Civil War fort; part of the National Park Service. Completed in 1844 by the U.S. Army, originally built by the Spaniards. Includes a restored Water Battery (1797), a picnic area, nature trail, vistor center and contains 40 acres of pine and oak forest. Museum open. 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily through Sept 6. Fort tours at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. daily through Aug. 14.|
|Fort George||Palafox & LaRua Streets||Pensacola||Florida||Built by the British in 1778. It was the largest of three the British built at that time. It was built with square pine logs laid horizontally; it had bomb-proof wooden casements for barracks surrounded by a dry moat fifteen feet wide and twenty feet deep. The British troops (based here at Ft George) encountered Galvez's forces in the Battle of Pensacola in the 1781. After the Spanish victory the fort was renamed to Fort San Miguel. The Spanish let it deteriorate and during the 19th century, prominent citizens built their homes on much of the fort and in 1974 the City of Pensacola bought the only undeveloped parcel to preserve it.|
|Fort Pickens||west end, Santa Rosa Island||Pensacola||Florida||(850)934-2800||Built in the early 1800's to fortify the Pensacola Harbour. It was contructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and is located at the west end of Santa Rosa Island. Along with the old fort the area offers camping, swimming, fishing and other activities, exhibits, a bookstore and a museum.|
|Gulf Breeze Zoo||5701 Gulf Breeze Parkway, Gulf Breeze, FL||Pensacola||Florida||(850) 932-2229||The Zoo offers over 700 animals and is surrounded by botanical gardens. Animals include a lion, tiger , zebra, giraffe, and gorillas in a natural setting. Stroll through a serene and tranquil Japanese garden, and catch a ride on the Safari Line train through 30 acres of free-roaming animals in their natual habitat. Included is a Giftshop, Jungle Cafe, and Whistlestop Snack Bar. The Zoo is located 10 miles east of Gulf Breeze and 19 miles west of Fort Walton Open daily, weather permitting. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (summer) 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (winter) Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day Free Parking Handicap Facilities Senior Citizen, Handicapped, and Group Discounts Family Memberships Birthday and Catered Parties Available Photo Safaris Sorry, No Pets|
|Gulf Islands National Seashore||West of Ship Island, Mississippi to the far end of Santa Rosa Island in Florida||Pensacola||Florida||(850)932-5302||The Gulf Island National Seashore stretches along the northeastern Gulf of Mexico from West Ship Island, Mississippi to the far end of Santa Rosa Island in Florida. These Areas were set aside by Congress for public use and recreation. they are rich in cultural and natural history. The Florida Section includes the following area's. Naval Live Oaks, Santa Rosa Area, Perdido Key, Okalossa Area, Fort Barrancas and the Fort Pickens Area. Self-guiding Trails are available at the Naval Live Oaks Area, Perdido Key, Fort Barrancas and the Fort Pickens Area. Picnic areas are available at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa, Okalossa, Ft Barrancas and Perdido Key Area. Facilities for disabled visitors are located at Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Fort Barrancas and partially at Fort Pickens Area Lifeguards are on duty during the summer at the Santa Rosa Area, Johnson Beach on Perdido Key, and the Fort Pickens Area. Santa Rosa has a bath hose and Perdido Key and Fort Pickens have outdoor showers. Near Ft Pickens is a 189 site campground with electricity at most sites. Supplies, food, and laundry are available at the store campground. For More Information: Write: Superintendent P.O. Box 100 Gulf Breeze, FL 32561-0100|
|Henry Baars Building||804 South Palafox Street||Pensacola||Florida||Built around 1817, Henry Baars made a fortune exporting timber and pine pitch. His lumber company was the first to export outside of the United States to foreign countries. The building is one of the oldest in the downtown area. John a. Merritt Company, Steamship Agents, occupied the building after 1913.|
|Historic Pensacola Village||205 E. Zaragoza||Pensacola||Florida||(850)444-8905|| The Historic Pensacola Village is a complex of late nineteenth century homes, several museums and the
Colonial Archaeological Trail.
The Village includes homes such as the Lavalle House, the Dorr House, the Julee Cottage and other historical homes.
The Museums include "The Museum of Industry, the Museum of Commerce, T.T. Wentworth, Jr., Florida State Museum.
The Colonial Archaeological Trail begins with an exhibit telling you about the British Fort site and it's history then your led to a Garrison Kitchen, then a government house, a British well sight and other excavations.
Tickets may be purchased at the central ticketing office in the Historic Pensacola village or the T.T. Wentworth Museum.
One admission fee allows entry to all Village sites. Senior citizen, military, and group discounts. Limited access for persons physically handicapped. Those with disabilities are admitted free.
Houses and Museums open Monday - Saturday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. From Easter to Labor Day open 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Sundays.
The Central Office for tickets is located close to the Bayfront Parkway along Pensacola Bay, downtown Pensacola at 205 E. Zaragoza.
|Historic Pensacola Village and Museum||Seville Square||Pensacola||Florida||(850)444-8905||Village includes Museums of Commerce, Industry, Dorr House, Lavalle House, Colonial Archaeological Trail Center, and Julee and Weaver's cottages, Seville District.|
|Hutchison House||284 West Gonzalez||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1916 by Charles Hill Turner for Mr. E. H. Skinner as a wedding present for his daughter, Margaret, who married Dr. Clarence Hutchison. Built in the Craftsman Bungalow style with a variety of influences including oriental architecture and the English Arts and Crafts movement. It features grooved wood shingles, rough brick columns, braced decorative roof trusses and brackets, and multi-paned ribboned windows. Classic features of the West Coast.|
|Julee Cottage: (1805)||210 E. Zaragoza Street||Pensacola||Florida||(850)444-8905||Dedicated to the memory of Pensacolian Julee Panton, the legendary freewoman of color who owned the cottage, this unusual "to the sidewalk" building now contains the panoramic "Blacks in West Florida" exhibit. The exhibit spans the slave era to modern times.|
|L & N Railroad Depot||Gregory and Alcaniz Streets||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1912 as a passenger depot and was left to deteriorate after the last passenger train rolled out of Pensacola in 1971. It now is restored and serves as the main lobby to the 15-story Pensacola Hilton.|
|Lavalle House, The: (1805)||205 E. Church Street||Pensacola||Florida||(850) 444-8905||A rare example of French Creole colonial architecture, Lavallé House was built in partnership during Florida's second Spanish period by Carlos Lavallé and Marianna Bonifay, a French widow who had migrated from Santo Domingo during a slave revolt in the 1790s. The house is furnished with authentic 18th and 19th century collections recreating the frontier life-style of Pensacola in the 1820s.|
|Lear-Rocheblave House: (1888)||Pensacola||Florida||Historic Pensacola Village's most recent project is one of the finest examples of a two-story Folk Victorian building in Pensacola. Currently under renovation, it is the last of its kind in the Seville Histoic District. Its spacious rooms and delicate jigsawed porches recall a time when large families lived and ate together every day. Although the house was built by John and Kate Lear, the Rocheblave family owned it for many years. Benito Rocheblave, captain of the local tugboat Monarch, ran guns to Cuba during the Spanish American War|
|Lee House||420 South Alcaniz Street||Pensacola||Florida||Originally located at 226 East Gregory. In the late 1960's the house was moved and restored at it's present location. The hipped roof cottage was built in 1866 by William Franklin Lee after returning from the Civil War.|
|Lee Square||Palafox and Gadsden||Pensacola||Florida||Palafox and Gadsden streets. Dedicated in 1891 as city's tribute to the Confederacy.|
|Mary Perry House||434 East Zaragoza Street||Pensacola||Florida|| Built around 1883 by Mary Thackery Perry and her husband Charles Perry. The cottage features floor
length windows to provide both ventilation and access to exterior porches.
After Mary's death, Charles became chairman of the Pensacola Pilot Association and secretary-treasurer of A. H. McLeod, a sail-making firm.
|McCreary House||904 North Baylen Street||Pensacola||Florida||The McCreary House was constructed around 1900 for W. F. McCreary. His family owned the house to just recently. It has a Victorian era Queen Anne architecture style which includes a complex roof system, faceted tower, spindlework, decorative shingles, and multiple porches.|
|McKenzie - Oerting Building, The||601 South Palafox Street||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1892 this commercial building provided services to the Port of Pensacola and supplied ship pumps, wire rope, and other maritime supplies. Charles McKenzie Oerting was Danish and established the McKenzie - Oerting Chandlery in 1863 and it operated until 1971.|
|McLane House||204 West Brainerd||Pensacola||Florida||The McLane House was built in 1910 for Jesse R. McLane, General Manager of the Florida and Alabama Land Company. The house has a Neoclassical architecture style, which was popular from 1910 to 1920. Features colossal columns, elaborate door surrounds, expansive porches, and decorative cornices.|
|Milton L&N Depot Museum||206 Henry St., Milton Florida||Pensacola||Florida||(850)623-0793 or (850)623-3645||Free tours by appointment|
|Milton Opera House Museum of Local History||Caroline St. (across from the courthouse), Milton, Florida||Pensacola||Florida||(850)626-9830||10 a.m. to 4p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Free.|
|Moreno Cottage||221 East Zaragoza Street||Pensacola||Florida||Built by Francisco Moreno for his daughter LaPearle. It was called a "shotgun" cottage, because the home was just one room wide. A shot could be fired through the front door and exit the backdoor without hitting a thing. The house contained no kitchen and it was given to LaPearle on the eve of her Marriage.|
|Motta House||212 West Cervantes||Pensacola||Florida||Built by Emilo Motta around 1900-1903. The house featured extensive spindled porches and generous windows for cross ventilation. The Victorian home also had its two-story porches curved at one end. Very popular during the 20th century. Mr. Motta was a storekeeper at the Navy Yard. In 1903, he became a clerk at the Customs House, and later promoted to deputy collector. After his death his widow and son remained in the home until about 1930.|
|Museum of Commerce, The: (1900)||201 E. Zaragoza Street||Pensacola||Florida||(850)444-8905||Inside this brick turn-of-the-century warehouse is a reconstructed 1890's era streetscape complete with a toy store, pharmacy, hardware, music, and print shop. The print shop contains one of the most complete collections of antique presses and type in the Southeast. An interesting collection of horse-drawn buggies is also a part of this nostalgic recreation of yesteryear's commerce. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Cost included in ticket to T.T. Wentworth and Historic Pensacola Village.|
|Museum of Industry, The: (1870-1890)||200 E. Zaragoza Street||Pensacola||Florida||(850)444-8905||Made up of two joined warehouse buildings, the Museum of Industry houses a series of exhibits depicting the major early industries of West Florida. Pensacola was noted for its vast natural resources of rich forests and plentiful marine life. The fishing and ice industry, brickmaking, lumber, and railroad industries which contributed to Pensacola's historic industrial boom are represented in exhibits such as the Lumber Train, Piney Woods Sawmill, and the McKenzie-Oerting Ship's Chandlery. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Cost included in ticket to T.T. Wentworth and Historic Pensacola Village.|
|Musician's Union Building||300 South Alcaniz Street||Pensacola||Florida||Built around 1880 and was probably built for Mary Cavanaugh Smith. The cottage was occupied mostly by the Musicians Union Local 283 during the 20th Century.|
|National Museum of Naval Aviation, The||Building 3465, Redford Boulevard, Pensacola Naval Air Station||Pensacola||Florida||(850)452-3604||The National Museum of Naval Aviation is one of the largest and most beautiful air and space museums in the world. Share in the excitement of Naval Aviation's thrill of flight and see over 100 fascinating planes representing Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard aviation. These historic and one-of-a-kind aircraft are displayed both inside the Museum's 250,000 square feet of exhibit space and outside on the Museum's 27 acre grounds. Soar with the Blue Angels in this dazzling seven-story glass and steel atrium that showcases four A-4 Sky-hawks in a diving diamond formation. An elevated mezzanine gives you and eye-level view of these famous aircraft. The Museum also tells the human side of Naval Aviation and features memorabilia from each era of flight including personal mementos from historic battles, flight logs, vintage instruments, and flight gear. The West Wing is devoted almost exclusively to World War II carrier aviation and showcases a full-size replica of the USS Cabot aircraft carrier island and flight deck. Famous world War II fighters such as the Corsair, Avenger and Hellcat stand ready for takeoff on the wooden flight deck, while other magnificent birds like the Wildcat, Dauntless and Kingfisher fly overhead. Kids of all ages love strapping into the many cockpit trainers for a pretend test flight and trying their hands at defending the ship from Cabot's gun battery. The Museum also tells the human side of Naval Aviation and features memorbilia from each era of flight including personal mementos from historic battles, flight logs, vintage instruments, and flight gear. Naval Aviation transcends both time and space, spanning history from the first flight in a wood-and-fabric biplane, to space travel in a Skylab Command Module. The Museum captures Naval Aviation's entire heritage and tells its story of commitment, challenge, courage and conviction. 9 a.m. 5 p.m. Sunday through Saturday. Free.|
|Naval Live Oaks Visitor Center, The||1801 Gulf Breeze Parkway||Pensacola||Florida||(850)934-2600||Part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. America's first experimental tree farm established in 1828 by John Quincy Adams. The 1,378 acres feature Live Oak contains pinic facilities, a youth group camping area and is the Gulf Island National Seashore's Headquarters and Vistor Center. Located two miles east of Gulf Breeze. 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily through Sept. 6.|
|Old Christ Church||Zaragoza and Adams Streets||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1832 by Pensacola's Episcopal congregation. Used as a hospital and barracks by Union troops during the Civil War. Old Christ Church is one of the oldest churches in Florida. The Old Christ Church is made of masonry.|
|Payne House||1125 North Spring Street||Pensacola||Florida||Dr. Walter C. Payne built his house around 1929 on an archaeological site of Fort San Bernardo which was where Don Bernaardo de Galvez engaged the British soldiers in 1781. The house has an architecture style of Tudor Revival and was derived from early English country homes. It has a steep roof, half-timbering, and patterned brickwork.|
|Pensacola Colonial Archaeology Trail||Pensacola||Florida||(850) 444-8905|| A project documenting Pensacola's Colonial Period, 1559-1821. It involves a walking tour of outdoor
exhibits of actual & reconstructed remains of an old fort and Colonial buildings and an indoor museum
In addition University of West Florida is investigating the remains of an old shipwreck in Pensacola Bay that could belong to Tristian de Luna for his 1559 settlement attempt.
For more information, contact: The Historic Pensacola Preservation Board
1513 - Juan Ponce de Leon discovered Florida.
1516 - Don Diego Miruelo was thought to be the first to sail into Pensecola Bay.
1519 - Alonzo Alvarez de Pineda believed to have entered bay and traded with the Indians.
1528 - Panfilo de Narvaez nnd Alvar Nunez de Vaca, with ebout 240 followers, entered the bay.
They may have fought local Indians who used slings and darts.
1540 - Captain Diego de Naldonado returned to Pensacola Bay each summer until 1543 in
search of survivors from the Hernando de Soto expedition. He was the first European to stay
any length of time.
1559 - Don Tr istan de Luna y Arrelano, with 1500 would-be settlers and and soldiers, made
the first attempt to colonize Pensacola Bay, and named it Bahia Santa Maria de Filipina. It l
sted two years.
1686 - Pensacola bay rediscovered by Juan Enriquez Baroto nnd Antonio Romero. Juan
Jordan de Reina called the bay "the best I have ever seen..." Called Panzacola or Pensacola
for first time.
1693 - Rev. Dr. Carlos de Siguenza y Gongora and Adm. Andrés de Pez explored Pensacola
Bay, drew a map and selected settlement site.
1698 - Pensacola established by Andrés de Arriola, governor, near present day Naval Air
Station, the first of three sites. Ft. San Carlos de Austria built of wood and earthen work; a bake
oven was the only masonry structure.
1719 - A small fortification was built at Point Siguenza, site of Ft. Pickens. The French
captured Pensacola and flags over Pensacola changed several times.
1722 - French burned the town and fort when they departed. Restored to Spain by treaty after
War of Quadruple Alliance. Don Alejandxo Mauchope named to reclaim Pensacola and act
as governor. Rebuilt on Santa Rosa Ialand, Pensacola's second site.
1743 - Dom Serres sketched the earliest surviving picture of the city. Site has been identified
and archaeological studies made.
1750 - Small fortification, San Miguel, built near present Seville Square to protect the friendly
1752 - Nov. 3. Hurricane raged, destroying Santa Rosa settlement. Town rebuilt near present
downtown Pensacola. Most of the people moved to the mainland.
1757 - Colony called "Panzacola" by royal order of King Ferdinand VII.
1761 - Hurricane destroyed one half the structures and took roofs off the others.
1763 - England took possession of PensacoIa at the close of the French & Indian War. Some
772 people, including 100 Catholic Indians, evacuated to Spanish territory.
1763-1781 - Pensacola was made the capital of British West Florida. More progress and
growth took place in Pensacola during the 18 years of British occupation than in the previous
65 years. Elias Durnford, surveyor and engineer, laid out the town in the Seville Square district,
much as it is today.
1781 - Battle of Pensacola, Spain recaptured Pensacola from the British as a turning point in
the American Revolution.
1783 - The Treaty of Paris at the close of the Americen Revolution gave all of "the Floridas" to
1784 - Creek Alexander NcGillivray sought approval from Spanish Governor Arturo 0'Neill to
allow Panton, Leslie Co. to establish trading house in Pensacola. Shortly after the 1784 Indian
Congress, Panton, Leslie Co. was established.
1803 - With the Louisiana Purchase, the capital of Spanish West Florida was moved to
Pensacola from New Orleans.
1814 - During the War of 1812 British ships sought refuge in Pensacola bay. With 3,000
soldiers and Indians, General Andrew Jackson stormed and captured Spanish Pensacola.
With the retreat of the British, Pensacola was restored to Spain. Fort San Carlos was blown up
by the departing English. There were fewer than 1,000 men, women and children in Pensacola
at the time.
1815 - Major Uriah Blue and Davy Crockett drove Red Stick Creeks (warriors) from the land
between Escambia and Yellow Rivers.
1817 - Fort San Carlos de Barrancas rebuilt east of old fort.
1818 - Jackson again made an unauthorized invasion of Pensacola and demanded the
Spanish surrender the fort and West Florida terrtory. After a short conflict, Pensacola
1819 - Pensacola returned to Spain, ending American provisional government. Realizing that
the United States could capture Pensacola, negotiations between Spain and America were
1821 - February 19, the Senate ratified the Adams-Onis Treaty providing for the transfer of all
of Florida to the USA. Jackson took possession of Florida in Plaza Ferdinand VII on July 17;
695 people lived in the town. A Methodist circuit rider came in December.
1822 - Congress created the Territory of Florida from Spanish West and East Florida. The first
Territorial Legislature met in Pensacola, and was interrupted by a yellow fever epidemic.
1825 - Navy Yard designated. Congress appropriated $6,000 for the Pensacola lighthouse.
1827 - Episcopal Congregation organized; first permanent Protestant congregation.
1829 - Ft. Pickens construction begun; completed in 1834. Capt. William H. Chase, U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers, supervised building this and other coastal forts in Pensacola.
1837 - Ft. McRee completed; construction began in 1834.
1844 - Ft. Barrancas completed; construction began in 1839. Army assumed control of the
1845 - Mar. 3. Florida admitted as the 27th state. Advanced Redoubt of Ft. Barrancas begun; it
was not completed in the 19th century.
1860 - Populntion of Pensacola was 2,876 the last year before the war.
1861 - Jan. 8. Col. William H. Chase ordered to seize the Pensacola forts. First shots at
Barrancas about 11 p.m. Fort Sumter fired upon April 12; Oct. 9. Battle of Santa Rosa Island,
first major Civil War battle in Florida. In November, federel guns bombarded Forts McRee and
Barrancas and the Navy Yard, and did extensive damage to the villages of (Old) Warrington
and Woolsey. These were near the Navy Yard on the present Naval Air Station. Federal troops
held Ft. Pickens the entire war.
1862 - Confederate troops began evacuation of Pensacola. Pensacola surrendered to the
Union Army on May 10.
1863 - Civilians and Military both evacuated from Navy Yard. By July only 82 people
remained in Pensacola. The city government was exiled in Greenville, Ala.; recognized by
State of Florida.
1865 - May 20. Florida formally surrendered to Union Troops. Some 15,000 Floridians served
the Confederacy. About 1,000 killed in action; 5,000 wounded and 5,000 died from various
1868 - Florida readmitted to the Union on June 25. Dr. Robert Hargis and Dr. J. C. Whitney
established a hospital.
1870 - Lumber boom began. Yellow fever continued to be almost annual threat to the city. The
Germania Hose Co. #1 was the first fire company to be formed after the war.
1876 - Tarragona Hall was built. The Weather Bureau was established and Beth El
Congregation founded. The Masons opened St. John's Cemetery, but for a time people
continued to use the old city cemetery (St. Michael).
1877 - Nationally Reconstruction ends. Unrest continued in Pensacola.
1878 - Pensacola Fire Department secured a steam engine.
1880 - The Knights of Labor organized in Pensacola. Florida's first Bell Telephone in
operation Sept. 1. Fire destroyed downtown district.
1883 - Main streets lit by gas lights. P & A railroad completed. Rail service to Jacksonville
began. A building boom launched, under construction or completed were the Opera House,
Custom House & Post Office, Court House, and new Methodist & Catholic churches.
1884 - The Street Railway Co. organized. Four miles of tracks laid; horses used until tracks
completed and electrified in 1898. Continental Hotel established in Capt. William Chase's old
mansion, Gen. E. A. Perry first Pensacolian elected Florida's Governor.
1886 - October 25. Apache Geronimo began his imprisonment at Fort Pickens. Public School
#1 erected across from Lee Square; later site of old Pensacola High School. Waterworks, near
Palafox and Cervantes Streets, began operation.
1887 - Florida's first Chamber of Commerce established in Pensacola.
1888 - Apaches removed from Fort Pickens to Mount Vernon, Ala. Dec. 10 at 7 p.m., electric
lights were turned on.
1891 - June 17. Confederate Monument in Lee Square dedicated with many out of town visitors
present, many of them veterans. The newspaper claims 10,000 attended; 1890 population was
1892 - Goulding Fertilizer Co. was founded, it was one of Florida's earliest.
1893 - By this year, some streets paved with vitrified brick made by Tennessee Brick Co.
1895 - Pensacola received a new charter with a mayor and city council government.
1898 - Teddv Roosevelt came through town enroute to Tampa and Cuba. Many Pensacolians
wanted to fight in Spanish American War, but few actually did. Pensacola's forts active for brief
period. Masonic Temple was built; over 100 new buildings were erected around town.
1900 - Pensacola population 17,747, increased more than 30% to 22,982 by 1910. Pensacola
Classical School established.
1903 - Lillie James, mother of Gen. Daniel James, USAF, opened school for Black children.
1904 - In 1904 & 1905 $600,000 worth of red snapper shipped from Pensacola. 1906 & 1916
hurricanes hurt the fishing industry.
1905 - In March 34 Navy ships of the "Great White Fleet" arrived for maneuvers in the
Caribbean Sea. The North Atlantic Squadron rendezvous was Pensacola bay for several
years. The last cases of Yellow Fever diagnosed Aug. 29; medical science had conquered the
dreaded disease. Nov. 1, fire destroyed entire business section on Palafox Street, Garden to
Romana; damages at $250,000.
1908 - New building boom began. Spanish Renaissance City Hall constructed on Jefferson
across from Plaza. In 1988 it opened as T. T. Wentworth Jr. Florida State Museum.
1910 - Ten story American National Bank building, called Pensacola skyscraper,. completed.
Now Seville Towers office building. San Carlos Hotel completed. Wooden bridge across
Bayou Texar opened; replaced in 1921 with concrete bridge.
1912 - L & N Depot completed; now part of Hilton Hotel. Cudahy & Armour Packing Co. built.
Property value up from $6,764,430 in 1902 to $15,676,840 in 1912. 21 miles of street paved
with wooden blocks.
1914 - Banks collapsed Feb. 2. The lumber industry declined. The Navy Yard reopened as the
United States Aeronautical Station with Commander Henry C. Mustin as commanding officer.
The new station had 3 instructors, 12 mechanics and 8 sea planes.
1915 - Daughters of Charity opened Pensacola Hospital on 12th Avenue; Pensacola's first
modern hospital. Name changed to Sacred Heart ca. 1950, moved to Ninth Avenue in 1965.
1916 - Newport Turpentine and Resin Co. began Pensacola operation. Fire Department
received its first motorized equipment, a 55 gallon tank. By 1924 all horse-drawn equipment
replaced. A destructive hurricane damaged the wharf and ships in town.
1925 - Saenger Theater built, for $500,000; used some material from Opera House. John H.
Perry bought Pensacola News Journal and combines Daily News & Journal.
1926 - Escambia River Bridge to Milton opened; 10,000 cars crossed in first 12 hours. Private
library established. Newport Industries developed new division; Armstrong-Newport; later
Armstrong Cork. Scenic Highway, Gulf Beach Highway and Lillian Bridge completed during
1927-30. Another destructive hurricane on Sept. 26.
1930 - Navy expansion moves Warrington across Bayou Grande.
1931 - Last Trolley car ran. Santa Rosa Sound & Pensacola Bay bridges and Casino on the
Beach opened June 13; Pensacola Beach reached by vehicles. City government now 10
member Council City Manager form, J. J. Sullivan was first city manager.
1933 - Pensacola Historical Society formed.
1936 - Spearman Brewing Company began operation.
1938 - Pensacola Public Library opened in Old Christ Church.
1939 - New Custom House and Post Oftice opened Oct. 31 at Palafox and Chase Streets, old
Court House site.
1941 - Florida Pulp & Paper Co. opened; later St. Regis Paper Co..
1947 - Hurricane damaged Palafox Street Wharf. Plans began for the Municipal Auditorium.
Pensacola population now 42,000.
1948 - Escambia General Hospital opened, renamed University Hospital.Pensacola Junior
College opened in the I. H. Aiken home. Washington Junior College opened in 1949; the two
merged in 1965.
1951 - Baptist Hospital opened. Chemstrand plant construction began; operations begin in
1953. Monsanto acquired plant in 1962.
1953 - Annexation expanded city limits from those set in 1821 by Andrew Jackson, increasing
size from 9.75 to 17.2555 square miles.
1954 - Pensacola Art Center Organized in 1953; opened Museum in 1954.
1955 - Fire destroyed Muscogee Wharf, ends coal exports.
1957 - New Public library at Spring & Gregory Streets; now West Florida Regional Library, it
has several branches. "Old Frisco Engine" 1355 given to city, sits on Garden Street grass
median. 16 new manufacturing firms opened in area.
1958 - Fire damaged waterfront, crippling port & shipping. Only Frisco Dock unhurt. Plans
begun for new Port of Pensacola facilities.
1960 - Pensacola Historical Society Museum opened Aug. 15.
1961 - City of Gulf Breeze incorporated Aug. 10.
1963 - University of West Florida founded; first students in 1967.
1966 - Pensacole Sister City Program received Reader's Digest "Beat Town Award."
1967 - The Historic Pensacola Preservation Board was established. Between January &
August 189 vessels docked in Pensacola, and 178,175 tons of cargo handled through port.
1968 - Twenty old Pensacola buildings submitted to Library of Congress Historic Building
Survey. Westinghouse opened Pensacola plant to produce commercial nuclear reactor
1971 - Pensncola celebrated Florida Sesquicentennial. Reubin 0'D. Askew second
Pensacolian to be Florida Governor. Gulf Islands National Seashore established by Congress
Jan. 8; Ft. Pickens park opened in May 1972.
1973 - The Charter National Bank opened, the city's tallest building; now Sun Bank.
1975 - West Florida Hospital opened.
1976 - Fort George Park dedicated Sept. 15. Ground broken for Inter-governmental Center.
1981 - Galvez Celebration marked Battle of Pensacola bicentennial. Restored Ft. Barrancas
opened in May.
1980s - A building boom included 15 story Hilton Hotel(1984); Pensacola Civic Center (1985);
New City Hall (1986); Wentworth Museum in old city hall (1988); New Regional Airport (1990).
Source: Pensacola Historical Society
|Pensacola Greyhound Track||Hwy 98W. at Dog Track Road, West Pensacola||Pensacola||Florida||(800) 345-3997 (850) 455-8595||Action packed Greyhound racing, a lounge, and great food makes the Pensacola Greyhound Track a great place to play. Pensacola Greyhound Track has live and instant replay on television throughout the complex. Pensacola Greyhound Track is a Year round racing track - rain or shine. Families are welcomed and children under 18 must be accompanied by parent. Also children must be 12 years of age for restaurant dining.|
|Pensacola Historic Districts||Pensacola||Florida||Most of Pensacola's past can be discovered in the Pensacola Historic Districts. Explore Pensacola's past in the museums and among the restored historic buildings, restaurants and shops in these districts. Pensacola's historical districts is divided up into three districts. (1) North Hill Preservation District occupies 50 city blocks and contains architectural style homes and buildings of Queen Anne, Neoclassical, Mediterrnean Revival, Art Moderne, and Craftsman Bungalow. (2) Seville Historical District occopies a 36 block area and includes Victorian homes, Restaurants, museums and shops. (3) Palafox Historic District is the commercial heart of Pensacola which includes a combination of entertainment, services, substances and shelters.|
|Pensacola Historical Museum, The||115 E. Zarragossa St.||Pensacola||Florida||(850)433-1559||The museum has historical exhibits ranging from the prehistoric to present. 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Cost is $2 for adults, $1.50 for senior citizens and active military, $1 for children. Group rates available. Admission allows entrance to Historical Resource Center, 117 E. Government St. Prices ubject to change.|
|Pensacola Museum of Art||407 S. Jefferson St||Pensacola||Florida||(850)432-6247||10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Free.|
|Plaza Ferdinand VII||Palafox between Government and Zaragoza Streets||Pensacola||Florida||Plaza Ferdinand was used by the British as a drilling field for Indian and Negro troops during the second Spanish period in 1813. It has been an open area ever since the first Spanish period. Andrew Jackson formally accepted Florida into the US in 1821, the ceremony was held in the Plaza. In 1961 Plaza Ferdinand was designated as a National Historic Landmark.|
|Quina House: (1810)||204 S. Alcaniz St||Pensacola||Florida||(850)434-3050||Hours: M-Saturday 12-4||At first, Quina House appears to be a typical example of a Creole Cottage, but a closer inspection reveals that a separate kitchen building was moved and attached to the rear of the main building. This created its odd camelback profile. The 1 1/2-story frame house is currently maintained as a fully furnished house museum by the Pensacola Historic Preservation Society.|
|Rafford Hall||Baylen and Belmont Streets||Pensacola||Florida||Rafford Hall was built in 1889 as the Pensacola Athletic Club. It featured a bowling alley, gymnastic equipment and a running track. It's one of the few remaining late 19th century wooden commercial structures in Pensacola. The basement bowling alleys and gymnastic equipment has been removed. The running track on the second floor is still intact.|
|Saenger Theatre (1925)||118 S. Palafox||Pensacola||Florida||(850) 444-7699|| Seats 1794 and is located downtown Pensacola on Palafox Place. The theatre was built during the days
of Vaudeville and silent films by New Orleans architect Emile Weil who also built other Saenger
Theatres in Mobile, Alabama, Shreveport, Louisiana, and New Orleans. In 1981 it was re-opened after
being restored by contributions from the Pensacola Community. It's Spanish and Renaissance
architecture makes this historical theatre an elegant show place for Broadway touring shows,
contemporary jazz artis, the Pensacola Symphony Orchestra and other shows.
For more information call (850) 444-7699
|San Carlos Hotel||was Palafox and Garden Street||Pensacola||Florida||The San Carlos Hotel opened in February 1910 with a Mediterranean Revival Style look. The Hotel provided a place for dining, dancing and hosted to many Florida Travelers, business men, military personnel and locals. For many years the hotel was closed and left vacant. The Hotel was eventually torn down. The San Carlos Hotel was located at Palafox and Garden Street.|
|Seville Quarter||130 East Government Street||Pensacola||Florida||(850)434-6211||Located in Historic Downtown Pensacola Seville Quarter is the Place to visit. Seville Quarter offers Fine Dining in the Palace Oyster Bar featuring Fresh Seafood and other Gulf Coast Specialties, and then Seville Quarter offers 7 Fun filled rooms of Entertainment (from Rock and Roll to Reggae) in a New Orleans French Quarter setting.|
|Seville Square||Adams and Alcaniz Streets between Zaragoza and Government||Pensacola||Florida||In 1752 a fortified outpost called San Miguel was built in Seville. British Surveyors mapped out a street system surrounding the commons area. Seville Square was used thoughout history as a place for trading and selling of ones goods.|
|St Michael's Cemetery||Alcaniz and Chase Streets||Pensacola||Florida||Alcaniz and Chase streets. Established in the late 18th century. 3,000 marked graves and monuments.|
|St Michael's Creole Benevolent Association Meeting Hall||416 East Government Street||Pensacola||Florida||The building was built in 1896 and housed one of Pensacola's oldest and most unusual social organizations. The Benevolent Society was established in 1878 by the Creoles. They aided members during sickness and trouble and provided a social forum.|
|Steamboat House||308 East Government Street||Pensacola||Florida||Built in 1856 by Dionicio Reache who operated two general stores. It features a steamboat shaped front facade and is unique in Pensacola's historical neighborhoods.|
|T.T. Wentworth Jr. Florida State Museum (1907)||830 S. Jefferson St.||Pensacola||Florida||(850)444-8905||This elaborate Renaissance Revival building was the height of architectural fashion when it was built as Pensacola's City Hall. Its symmetrical design is graced with wide overhanging eaves, a red tile roof, an arched entry porch, and a secondstory arcade. In 1987 - 1988 the yellow brick building was renovated with the assistance of a special State grant and dedicated as a Florida State Museum. Innovative exhibits portray West Florida's history, architecture and archaeology. The museum's third floor is home to Discovery, an entertaining hands-on museum for children of all ages and is sponsored by the Junior League of Pensacola. Now contains the collection of T.T. Wentworth. You can see galleries and exhibits featuring the T.T. Wentworth Collection and Discovery, a hands-on learning museum for children. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday and Sundays Easter through Labor Day. Cost is $2 all ages. also includes Historic Village and Museums. Prices subject to change.|
|Thiesen Building, The||40 Palafox Place||Pensacola||Florida||Morgan and Dillon, well known architects from Atlanta designed the 1902 commercial building for Christian Theisen. The building features the Beaux Arts including terra-cotta scrolled brackets, Corinthian Capitals, and sculptured faces surrounded by elaborate terra-cotta floral motifs. It was the first in the area with steam heat for tenants, an elevator and janitorial service.|
|Veterans Memorial Park||Bay Front Parkway, 9th Avenue||Pensacola||Florida|| (850) 433-8200
|| Located on 5 1/2 acres of land overlooking Pensacola Bay. It is the only Memorial Park to honor the
veterans who fought in all of the American Wars.
The park now has a memorial to World War 1 and a replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial is known as the Wall South.
The Wall South measures 256 feet long. Each wing measures 128 feet in length. the 64 name panels (32 panels per wing) list all of the 58,204 men and women veterans' names who lost their lives in the Vietnam War. Among the Memorial names are 8 Women Nurses known as "Angels on the Wall". the names listed represent people from the United States and citizens of 19 other countries.
The Veterans Memorial Park is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Park provides benches, handicap parking and access, and lighting for night visitation. It is located on Bay Front Parkway at 9th Avenue next to the Gulf Power Building.
Vietnam Veterans Wall South Foundation
P.O. Box 17886
Pensacola, FL 32522-7886
|Weaver's Cottage||209 E. Zaragoza St,||Pensacola||Florida||(850)444-8905||The Gulf Coast Cottage's pyramid-shaped roof was once a common sight in Pensacola. Often these small houses had only two rooms which were rented separately. Today this simple cottage contains a weaving exhibit which illustrates this craft which was so important to a small community. Textiles, looms, and spinning wheels are displayed alongside descriptions of the spinning, carding, and weaving processes.|
|William Fordham House||417 East Zaragoza Street||Pensacola||Florida||This folk Victorian cottage first appears on the notable Sanborn Insurance Maps in 1892. The land was deeded to Laura Justian Moreno and the cottage was probably built soon after Laura's marriage to William Francis Fordham, who was a Pensacola Doctor.|